Tanja goes Hyderabad

and all over India





Tuesday, November 21, 2006

It does not matter

Indias contrasts between everything is so unbelieveably overwhelming. The modern palaces are being built by the poorest of the poor who work with their bare hands from dawn to dusk and camp under plastic-bag-like shelter on the construction site. Children in rags attack cars waiting on red lights (if that happens) and try to either beg or sell Q-Tipps or Spiderman masks. Where other societies would break apart or simple become hell on earth, India deals enviously well with this. I believe they do so, because they know that at the end of the day, it is not worth worrying about anything.

One of the most beautiful things about India is the fact that nothing really matters. People come up with some rules, probably a silent cry out for getting organized. But they dont mean anything.

A everyday scene in my sheltered life; at the gym reception:

"No, Maam, you cannot use the gym, it is for members only"

"What are you talking about, I always pay as I go. You even have a price list for 'pay as you go'right here."

"Maam, what is your membership number, Maam?"

"I just told you I dont have a membership. I usually pay as I go."

"Maam, that would be 100 RS now"

"Your pricelist says 50 Rs. That was the price that I have paid up until yesterday. I just have 50 Rs with me. Could you give me a discount?"

Head wobbling on the other side of the reception desk. "ok, Maam, no problem."

"Thank you very much"

"Maam, that would be 56 Rs now incl. tax"

"Sorry, I told you I just have 50 Rs on me."

More intense head wobbling. Time stands still. Office hours are coming closer.

"You know what, I just give you the 50 Rs, and I dont need a receipt anyway. I ll just use the pool."

"Ok, ok, Maam"

The minute I want to go into the pool, the cleaner shouts at me:

"Sorry, Maam, you need to wear a swimming cap." This rule really surprises me, as I am the only reason they clean the pool. I havent seen anyone else using it for the last 1.5 month. The only purpose this pool serves is to being cleaned by 5 or 7 of the 10.000 servants.
I get in the water, put my goggles on and say politely, but without a smile: "I dont have a swimming cap."

Head wobbling from there: "Ok, no problem"

2 Comments:

  • At 12:56 PM, Blogger dibaskg said…

    I just read your post, I'm at work, and I had to cover my mouth so as to avoid having my colleagues ask why the heck was I giggling... :-)
    Cheers from Greece
    Dimitris

     
  • At 2:03 AM, Blogger VitalSpire said…

    Read your post with interest. Asomeone originally belonging to Hyderabad, who returned few months back, its quite interesting how foreigners have a different perspective to everything. I feel this "habit" of nothing matter, of living by exception than by rule, is causing so much harm to the improvement of society. When you are on vacation, it is pobably amusing, but when you want to get work done, and you spend endless cycles in side-stepping meanless rules, you start to wonder about purpose of existance itself.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Many thanks to Tina and Sonam for taking some time to talk about Hyderabad