Tanja goes Hyderabad

and all over India





Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Drivers

I have met the nicest people among my divers here. It is not always easy to communicate but as I mentioned before, it does not really matter.

The funniest and jumpiest driver so far is Vinpi. I had the pleasure to meet him cause I was late for my train; so I had to rent a driver from Delhi to Agra. The good soul was about my age, and almost exclusively used the words "Ma´am" and "Yes Ma´am" and "Ok Ma´am?".

I took him to the Taj Mahal, as he had never seen it and we both were impressed. I asked him to take my picture in front of the Taj, and we both were not that content with the result, because either the top of the building was missing, or the focus of the picture was the marble floor and me and the building in the far background. Anyway, he made me pose in front of everything in order to practise his digital photography skills. At the end of "our" trip, he was so happy and jolly to have made a none Indian friend and almost bursted from excitement when I promised to send him the pictures. When I eventually did, he called me up and sounded like Christmas, Holi, Diwali, birthday and end of Ramadan all in one.

There is Isma, the coordinator of all the Cosy Cab drivers in Hyderabad. He does an amazing job with getting all us expats where we want to go, sends us to tailors, hairdresses, pailors, pearl shops and to doctors as well. Erare humanum est. So when I had my encounter with viral fever or food poisoning, I asked for his advise and sure enough he sent me to the best private hospital in town. He reassured me that this doctor has healed so many people before and that I dont have to worry at all. Ansari, my favorite driver, took me there and when we confirmed the appointment at the reception, he asked me if I needed to see a gynaecologist, because that is the doc I had an appointment with. The new appointment was quickly scheduled.
The next time I wanted to go for a gyaencologist checkup, so I figured Isma is the expert with that and asked him to arrange an appointment. Gopa drove me there and it turned out that the appointment was made with the clinical psyochatrist. Although I am sure a check up with this doc would not have hurt, I insisted that I would prefer to see the gynaecologist. It was a tough one. The receptionist and Gopa were discussing my treatment in high volume, having Isma on the phone. However, my repeated sentence "I dont care what the doctors name is, I would like to see a gynaecologist" finally convinced the three men.

And of course, Good Karma in the shape of a man: Gopa. He takes big pride of being among the first employees of the company. His English is rudimentory, but we bond somehow. We start "talking" in Hindi, as he is the only one patient enough to listen to me. He laughs all the time and advised me the other day "moordrr not good" when I tried to smash a mosquito in the car. I was a little embarraed to be so insensitive to Hindu believes of reincarnation, but when he slaped the next mosquito in his hands a few min later, I realized that he was more concerned about the clean windows than about a life of the insect. I love that he has the OM sign and the swastika tatooed on his underarm.

The best of Gopa next to his cheerfullness is his helpfulness. He is deeply caring and also a little clumsy. So he puts the A/C to 3 when I am sneazing and coughing, maybe he thinks fresh air does a cold good... I ask him for a kleenex, and while driving on the city highway, he searches the car, only to find out he doesnt have any. He generiously offers me the wrinkled bight orange 40x40cm handkerchief, stained with oil and what not which he found in the driver door. He explode in laughter. He first does not understand and looks at me bewildered for a second. But as it does not really matter, he starts laughing hysterically, as if he had intended to make a joke. "I make comedy!" lol

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Many thanks to Tina and Sonam for taking some time to talk about Hyderabad